Sunday, August 7, 2011

In Praise of American Youth

There are many who decry the current state of American youth. They see these young people as self-absorbed, lacking in “social graces” and totally unaware or uncaring of the larger world around them. I do not see this attitude to be true or, in the least bit, representative of the youth I have been privileged to be associated with as an educator within my history classes. I have found them to be inquisitive, insightful and very caring. Nearly all are truly looking for their place in the world, for a fuller understanding of their talents and the “clues” that will give them insight as to how they might make a difference in the world. My “proof” for my comments is contained in the following YouTube file that was the top place submission for a class project during the fourth marking period of the 2010-2011 academic year. The students had been tasked with selecting a theme of history and the development of a multimedia presentation that would show the patterns and trends over time from 1945 to the present day. They were graded by their fellow students and by a select group of school faculty in addition to my assessment.
The top submission focused upon the impact of humans upon their environment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHBsN_noxQ
When the classes held project review sessions at the end of the project, it was revealed that the top submission took over 60 hours to create and the average time for all of the 10 separate group submissions was 30 hours. Personally, I was humbled by what had taken place. All of the submissions showed quality development, pride in individual accomplishment and deep caring for the world they lived within. From my personal experience, I believe the future looks very bright with the capabilities of youth on such positive display.

No comments: